The NDUS has decided that the University of North Dakota will not keep the Fighting Sioux athletic nickname unless the two Sioux tribes in North Dakota allow the university to do so for 30 years and make a decision by October 1st. So...here are some suggestions:
- Eliminate "Dakota" from the name as well; your Chester Fritz University Fighting Engelstads! (In sympathy, NDSU will drop Dakota from their name and become Fargo State, since Northern State is already taken.)
- Keep the old uniforms as long as possible: the Fighting S O X. Minnesota sports fans (and Northside Chicagoans) hate the White Sox anyway, so...
- Since Grand Forks is not as home to as many pre-Columbian Americans as it used to be, the Fighting Olsons (and the NDSU Fighting Andersons) (Or maybe the Immigrants for one of them)
- Go just with the colors: The Pink And Green
- Keep the tradition of the nickel alive: instead of UND Sioux vs. NDSU Bison, renew the rivalry with the UND Jeffersons vs. NDSU Monticellos (Monticelli?)
- Let the fans keep the name, like they tried with the Baltimore CFL ---- (and then the fans would say COLTS)
- Saint Louis has athletics teams named for a popular toy around 1920. So...the UND Bobbleheads?
- In St Louis, "hoosier" is a fightin'words-level insult for someone rural. If Indiana University can keep the nickname Hoosiers, the UND Rednecks?
- (Not totally original idea) If we can have the Thunder the Hurricanes, or the Avalanche, why not the Flood?